Prepared to Lose Your Glasses? Ten tips for selecting a LASIK or Laser Vision Correction CenterThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest evolving fields of medicine. Never before have numerous brand-new strategies and clinical advancements emerged in such a short amount of time. LASIK surgery, which uses an excimer laser to improve the cornea, uses millions of people the chance to decrease or remove their need for glasses or contacts .
Tv and radio ads are filled with remarkable stories about LASIK surgery as the quick and pain-free way to correct vision, however stories are also appearing about people for whom it was less than successful. Prior to you decide to go under the beam, what can you do to assist guarantee that you will enjoy with your results?
The essential to safe surgical treatment in any field of medication is an informed client. Take a little time and research study the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a national survey by Ophthalmology Times, uses the following standards to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a doctor by getting referrals from other doctors or from patients who have actually had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Do not be tricked by elegant ads about a specific laser. Pick the doctor, not the laser center. Discover who will really do your procedure, then ask about that medical professional's credentials (e.g., board accreditation, special training).
3. Pick a medical professional who has done a minimum of 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgeries. What a medical professional does not understand can harm you.
Ask for information on your medical professional's LASIK eye surgery problem rates. If your medical professional won't tell you, discover another one.
Ask what measures are taken to prevent infection. Firmly insist that your eye is thoroughly disinfected, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be sanitized before your eye laser surgical treatment to eliminate the danger of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
6. Be careful of ads pressing "low expense" LASIK surgical treatment. Discount rate surgical treatment is as excellent as a discount rate parachute. The potential cost savings are unworthy the threat of receiving less than professional care!
Expect to see really well after LASIK, but do not expect to see completely. As with any eye laser surgical treatment, results are as specific as each patient. Be careful of any physician who promises 20/20 vision.
If you feel like you're getting a tough sell, you probably are. You're not buying a automobile; this is genuine LASIK eye surgical treatment.
If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will probably offer better vision than LASIK. Ask your physician about them and other recent advances.
10. While you investigate, don't lose sight of the benefits: for the majority of company website people, a lifetime of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgical treatment has actually improved the eyesight of countless individuals all over the world.